Welcome to our new website!
WHAT IS COUNSELLING?
- Counselling offers you a safe and confidential place to explore concerns and to attain a better understanding of your current life situations.
- Counselling may help you to let go of past burdens and to move beyond distress, broadening understanding and perspective.
- Many people pursue counselling because of dissatisfaction with a particular aspect of their lives; perhaps you are seeking resolution, but feel stuck, with a lack of direction or purpose.
- We often become entrenched in rigid thinking and behaviour. Through counselling, you can discover new ways of interacting with others, and gain personal insight.
- Suppressed feelings of anger, sadness and resentment can be overwhelming, causing you pain and anxiety. Learning to release and express these blocked emotions in a safe manner can lead you to new understandings.
- Working with a non-judgmental therapist allows for open and honest exploration of choices.
- Counsellors do not give advice or direct you towards any particular outcome. This neutrality allows you the freedom to fully and objectively examine yourself and your life. The counselling experience is quite different from confiding in your friends or family members with whom you have a personal relationship.
- Counselling lets you see yourself as you truly are, and to facilitate your process of becoming who you wish to be. The counselling relationship provides a unique experience that supports discovering and fulfilling your individual needs. This personal growth and healing occur in a nurturing and confidential environment.
OTHER ISSUES ADDRESSED INCLUDE:
- Anxiety & Stress Management
- Teen Issues
- Self Esteem
- Women’s Issues and Identity
- Anger Management
- Personal Growth
- Abuse and Trauma
- Domestic Violence
- Grief and Loss
- Life Transitions
- Health and Wellness
- Pain Management
- Workplace Issues
COUPLES COUNSELLING / MARRIAGE COUNSELLING
Perhaps you are dissatisfied with your intimate relationship. Counselling can help you and your partner to increase understanding, intimacy and the ability to problem-solve. Couples counselling may also be helpful when your relationship ends, and you wish to develop new ways of relating with each other, or to co-parent in a healthy way.
If your family relationships have become distant, strained or damaged, you may decide to work together to improve your communication and functioning. Your family’s pattern of interaction directly influences the individuals within the family; counselling offers opportunities for each of you to gain understanding and compassion for the others. This in turn creates a more cohesive and harmonious family unit. In some cases, there may be parent-child or teen conflict that can be resolved by mediation, another aspect of family therapy.
Individual counselling focuses on the resolution of personal or interpersonal issues. You may be troubled by ingrained beliefs about yourself, others, and the world around you. Faulty perspectives can keep you stuck in negative self-identity, depression, anger and poor self-esteem. Individual therapy helps you to understand your unconscious motives and habitual reactions, thus allowing inner transformation and increased well-being.
We offer a variety of groups that are both educational and therapeutic in nature. Each session will include information and exploration of solutions, as well as discussion and support among group members. Group size ranges from 8 – 12, and sessions are usually held one evening per week for several consecutive weeks. Groups offered include:
- Anger and Stress Management
- Anxiety and Depression
- Healthy Relationships
Group therapy is a form of psychosocial treatment where a small group of clients (usually 5 – 8) meet regularly to talk, interact, and discuss concerns with each other and the group leader, or therapist. This gives you a safe and comfortable place where you can work out problems and emotional issues. You will gain insight into your own thoughts and behavior, and offer suggestions and support to others. In addition, if you have a difficult time with interpersonal relationships, you can benefit from the social interactions that are a basic part of the group therapy experience. Therapy groups may be general, or focus on specific areas such as:
- Women’s Issues
- Men’s Issues
A NOTE ABOUT GROUPS
We request that all group participants maintain strict confidentiality.
Pre-screening is required for all groups.
Fees are based on the total number of hours, and are generally considerably less expensive than individual therapy.
TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
If you think you could benefit from talking to one of our counsellors, please call us directly to discuss your concerns or make further inquiries.
Sessions are billed at $100.00 per hour. Fees are collected at the end of each appointment and are payable by cash or cheque. Extended health insurance, Employee Assistance Programs, or other insurance policies may cover our fees. Clients are encouraged to explore eligibility for third party coverage.
Call 604-542-2412 for a free 15-minute initial consultation to see if a South Point counsellor is a good fit for you.